Why is automatic template instantiation so difficult?

Why is automatic template instantiation so difficult?

Matthias-54
I see that the issue with forgotten %template arises here quite often (and
I ran into it, too). It's very easy to forget about them. I wonder why
automatic template instantation (swig sees that there's a
std::vector<int>, so it should search all the templates it already knows
and instantiate the proper one) is so difficult. I bet it isn't as easy as
I said in the sentence before as the swig developers would have
incorporated this into SWIG before then. Why is it so hard to do automatic
template instantiation?

-Matthias