SWIG Python C API's stability

Philippe Proulx
Hi,

Is the SWIG C API in the generated *_wrap.c file considered stable? In
other words, can I use it in custom typemaps? I'm talking about symbols
like:

- SWIG_as_voidptr()
- SWIG_From_int()
- SWIGTYPE_p_something
- SWIG_Python_AppendOutput()

and so on. Those functions and macros are very useful in fact and they
ensure portability, so if it's guaranteed that they will exist in the
future, I'd certainly use them.

Thank you,

Philippe Proulx

Re: SWIG Python C API's stability

William S Fulton

On 10 January 2017 at 21:46, Philippe Proulx <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is the SWIG C API in the generated *_wrap.c file considered stable? In
other words, can I use it in custom typemaps? I'm talking about symbols
like:

- SWIG_as_voidptr()
- SWIG_From_int()
- SWIGTYPE_p_something
- SWIG_Python_AppendOutput()

and so on. Those functions and macros are very useful in fact and they
ensure portability, so if it's guaranteed that they will exist in the
future, I'd certainly use them.

These are certainly stable for the 3.0.x releases and not very likely to change in subsequent releases.

Re: SWIG Python C API's stability

Philippe Proulx
On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 6:15 PM, William S Fulton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 January 2017 at 21:46, Philippe Proulx <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is the SWIG C API in the generated *_wrap.c file considered stable? In
>> other words, can I use it in custom typemaps? I'm talking about symbols
>> like:
>>
>> - SWIG_as_voidptr()
>> - SWIG_From_int()
>> - SWIGTYPE_p_something
>> - SWIG_Python_AppendOutput()
>>
>> and so on. Those functions and macros are very useful in fact and they
>> ensure portability, so if it's guaranteed that they will exist in the
>> future, I'd certainly use them.
>>
> These are certainly stable for the 3.0.x releases and not very likely to change in subsequent releases.

Good to know then!

Shouldn't they be stable for all the 3.x.y releases? If you have a
stability commitment, I would expect that minor releases can add such
symbols, but not modify/remove existing ones.

Phil