Pre-generated SWIG sources

Matěj Cepl-2
Hi,

I am trying to revive M2Crypto, which is a Python SWIG-based bindings
for OpenSSL. The main purpose of the maintenance is to support legacy
applications which still use M2Crypto (and there is surprising number of
them), so it is a problem that I currently cannot build M2Crypto on
RHEL-6 (not even mentioning RHEL-5), because it has only swig 1.*. Would
it be possible to pre-generate *.c files on a modern platform with a
more recent SWIG and then package and ship them in tarball? Is there
some support for it it in distutils and python distutils?

Thank you in advance for any replies,

Matěj

--
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: [hidden email]
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man
I know.
      -- Abraham Lincoln

Re: Pre-generated SWIG sources

Bob Hood
On 7/11/2016 1:00 AM, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to revive M2Crypto, which is a Python SWIG-based bindings
> for OpenSSL. The main purpose of the maintenance is to support legacy
> applications which still use M2Crypto (and there is surprising number of
> them), so it is a problem that I currently cannot build M2Crypto on
> RHEL-6 (not even mentioning RHEL-5), because it has only swig 1.*. Would
> it be possible to pre-generate *.c files on a modern platform with a
> more recent SWIG and then package and ship them in tarball?

Not SWIG, but I do something similar with Flex/Bison generated files.  I only
generate the output under Windows because I have hand-picked versions of these
tools there, and then I commit the generated files so I am not at the mercy of
whatever versions appear on OS X and Linux when I build the project there. I
would imagine that you could do something similar with your SWIG-generated
files, as long as they were as platform-agnostic as possible.

Alternatively, you might be able to build a specific SWIG version yourself on
the target platform.  I know that a platform supporting SWIG 1.x might not
have current enough build tools to support building SWIG 2.x or 3.x, but you
might get lucky, and then you can use your self-built version for your project
instead of relying on the horribly outdated version included in the distribution.