How can I access indirectly-linked object-file members?

How can I access indirectly-linked object-file members?

Matt Cole
My environment is that 'foo' (_foo.so) links against a different library, 'bar', including its header file and gaining access to internal varibles and functions. 'foo' is available to python and I have a trivial test program there to vet my process.

I need access to a bar member, which by virtue of its inclusion as an 'extern' in 'foo' I was hoping would be accessible in my python test.  By now you can guess that it is not properly accessible, and I am stuck trying to get this to work.

I am using a trivial .i file as below:

%module foo
%{
#define SWIG_FILE_WITH_INIT
#include "foo.h"
%}
%include "foo.h"

The specific error I'm seeing is:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'some_extern'

I'm sure what I'm doing or not doing is simple and stupid, buit this is my first swig of swig.

Any help is appreciated
Matt

--
Matt Cole