C# interface feature status

Mark Harmer
Hi,

Unfortunately "interface" is a bit of an overloaded term when discussing SWIG, in this context I'm referring to the target language interfaces in C#/Java.

I noticed there were some changes a few months ago around C# interface generation (e.g. https://github.com/swig/swig/commit/5cf2008).

I also noticed some prior documentation around interface generation in Java (http://www.swig.org/Doc3.0/SWIGDocumentation.html#Java_interfaces). I couldn't find the same documentation for C#, nor did I see anything related to this in the release notes for the past few versions of 3.0.x.

I tried this out on the C# side, and it seems to work fine. Given the lack of documentation and release notes - is this feature ready to be used in production with the current version of 3.0.10?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: C# interface feature status

William S Fulton
On 28 September 2016 at 05:51, Mark Harmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately "interface" is a bit of an overloaded term when discussing
> SWIG, in this context I'm referring to the target language interfaces in
> C#/Java.
>

> I noticed there were some changes a few months ago around C# interface
> generation (e.g. https://github.com/swig/swig/commit/5cf2008).
>
> I also noticed some prior documentation around interface generation in Java
> (http://www.swig.org/Doc3.0/SWIGDocumentation.html#Java_interfaces). I
> couldn't find the same documentation for C#, nor did I see anything related
> to this in the release notes for the past few versions of 3.0.x.
>
> I tried this out on the C# side, and it seems to work fine. Given the lack
> of documentation and release notes - is this feature ready to be used in
> production with the current version of 3.0.10?

Like all the C# documentation, it is basically an extension of the
Java documentation, where the Java docs should be used with a bit of
interpretation. Differences are mentioned in the C# chapter, see
http://swig.org/Doc3.0/CSharp.html#CSharp_differences_java.

The implementation for C# and Java were done at the same time and you
should find them equally good.

Re: C# interface feature status

Jeremy Cowles
Ive been bouncing between the docs for C# reference and indeed C# seems well implemented, nice work!

The one issue I've consistently stumbled over is looking up typemaps, having to redirect/translate through the Java docs is error prone and requires you maintain a larger mental stack.

Would be nice if that one table were made explicit.

But everything has been working as advertised!